Re: [CH] Tabasco vs. Louisiana hot sauces

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 09 May 2001 08:14:29 -0500

danceswithcarp wrote:

> Hmmm.  I seem to misremember reading years ago that the Louisiana Hot Sauce
> parent had been bought by the parent company of McIlhenny after tons of
> litigation for product infringement.  As a matter of fact I *know* I
> remember it.  The parent company of LHS had, like, 50+ food products in
> their line and LHS was the only one kept alive.

> Or was that Red Devil?

> Naw, it was LHS.

Trappey's Red Devil is made by Trappey's Fine Foods of New Iberia, LA.
Same town as Tabasco, and may, in fact, be owned by Tabasco (McIlhenny).
But, they retain their own identity and are still packaging the veggies
and other items. I have several cans of Trappey's Field Peas, etc. in my
cupboard.

I prefer Trappey's to Tabasco as it is not so sour and vinegary. And my
local Odd Lots had a shelf full of quarts at 79c/qt. I bought all the
had.

Louisiana Hot Sauces are made by Bruce Foods, Inc. .... not McIlhenny

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider