[CH] Zinfandel

Steven L. Thomas (steven@thomasfamilywinery.com)
Wed, 9 May 2001 11:14:45 -0600

Howdy CH'ers!>From: Alan Boehmer <alan@thegrid.net>
>Subject: [CH] Cal Zin & Italian Primitivo

>Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this subject, I'll
>throw in an additional comment.

<<snip>>

>So the matter is still somewhat undecided. As for Zin's aptitude as a
>chile partner, well...I won't bite on that one!

>Alan Boehmer
>Editor, California Wine
What a great discussion!  As a producer  (and admirer) of Zin, I always
thought the "standard" explanation of the origins were hazy.  10 -12 years
ago when the Hungarian/Croatian/ Slavic connection surfaced, it really
intrigued me, since I had tasted Primitivo and it never quite had Zin's
angular edge.  Some flavors in wine varietals change from vineyard site and
vinification practices among other factors, but the heart and soul of a
grape does not change.  I think Zinfandel is the best of the reds (IMHO,
for my palate) with chilehead foods.  It keeps the heat, but rises up with
it's own flavor, bringing the flavors of the spice along with it, to
challenge the heat.  Only second to Zin is the Sauvignon Blanc family of
wines- SB, Semillon, Vidal Blanc- it can do that too!  Zinfandel has an
incredible affinity for pork as well as the richness of dried chiles like
ancho, chipotle, moles. etc

Keep up the great wine chile thread!

Steve Thomas