Re: [CH] Black Plastic Mulch

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 12 May 2001 07:00:43 -0700

Mike Benson wrote:

> Does anyone know where to get black plastic mulch for the pepper patch?
>
> For those of you that have been to the Open Fields, I'm looking for something
> like what Jim uses.  It's a thin black material that lets water through, but
> doesn't let weeds grow.  It also helps to warm the soil.  I'm hoping I can get
> this a the local lawn and garden store, and not have to mail order the stuff.
> My pepper patch is only about 18 ft. by 18 ft., so I don't need to cover a huge
> area.

FWIW: Last year I used actual black plastic (the impervious type) here
in sunny SoCal for my chiles and tomatoes.  I laid it down in raised
beds, cut a hole about eight to ten inches diameter for each plant,
planted and then covered the whole thing with a forest bark mulch, the
bark mulch being especially important here in frequently 90+ summertime
temps.  I did this because I created the raised beds in an area that
previously had been covered thick with bermuda grass and getting out
all the runners was near impossible.  It didn't keep the runners from
spreading but it did keep 'em fairly well in check and from breaking
the surface.  It also did well at keeping down watering frequency.
One drawback...the area between the plastic and the soil was the
perfect environment for ants.  Every time I'd water they'd swarm and
be a real nuisance.  I finally had to resort to pesticides...something
I do try to avoid.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...