Re: [CH] hotlucks and...well... booze

mstevens@exit109.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:16:43 GMT

At 08:17 PM 5/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got to ask a question, and I'm hoping it won't come across tactless.
>  I'm not putting down anybody's drinking habits in the least, please
>believe me, just asking for information in order to protect my own
>personal recovery from alcoholism:
>
>I've never been to a hotluck or similar chilehead gathering.  Part of
>that has been due to my health and
>finances, but some of it, to be perfectly honest, has
>been out of concern for how boozy I've heard some
>of these occasions can get.   As a recovering drunk,
>I not only don't drink myself, I don't any longer enjoy being around
>people who are gettin' seriously lubed;  it just has too many memories
>for me of some very wretched...with or without the "w"...years.
>
>So I'd like to hear (backchannel, if you prefer) from fellow recovering
>folks or other non- or minimal drinkers on the list:  just how liquid
>_does_ it get at the average hotluck?  Are we talkin' two or three beers
>here, or serious winebox-upending?  :)   I'd  just like to know what I'm
>getting into.

I've been to literally dozens of hotlucks, and I really can't recall one where
alcohol was a major aspect of the gathering.  If anything, as most folks have
travelled a good distance to attend, drinking was fairly moderate.  I'd say
about half of the hotlucks have featured kegs, but overall I've not seen folks
setting out to get drunk.  I guess I'd say that on the whole that drinking at
hotlucks is slightly less of an issue than most any other adult gathering as
the main focus is on the food (Maybe excepting some firy bloody marys...).

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                          Dyslexic Agnostic Insomniac...

           Lying awake at night, wondering if there is a dog.