Re: [CH] Black Plastic Mulch

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Mon, 14 May 2001 10:02:48 -0500

At 11:20 PM -0500 5/13/01, Meconella@aol.com wrote:
>I am using the finely ground mulch available free from our dump around my
>plants this year.  Anyone have any experiences using this kind of mulch?
>I've been using it in my compost heap for afew years now and it decomposes
>nicely.

Presuming this is mulch made from yard waste, yes, at least for
landscaping, not really for gardening.  Now, if it's ground up garbage, no.
Anyway, my father used to always get mulch from the city for his
landscaping.  He had a lot, so getting it free by the truckload was a lot
better than buying the 3 cubic foot bags...  Anyway, it looked and worked
just fine, with the exception that you would find the occasional pop can or
plastic cup mixed in.  Oh, and one year their was a bunch of foam, probably
shreaded carpet padding, but it blew away in a mid-summer bow echo storm,
while the wood & bark stayed.

Chad Gard, CTS KB9WXQ
INCHASE: http://www.inchase.org  Co-founder
SCOA: http://www.stormchasersofamerica.org  Member #3