Re: [CH] Slugs and Beer

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Thu, 17 May 2001 10:03:21 -0700

At 08:27 PM 5/16/2001, Suzanne wrote:

>     The tomatofanatics say that a weak ammonia solution wards off
>slugs....similar to some cheap beers now that I think about it , but I would
>rather save the suds for me and give the ammonia to the homeless snails.

It's all very nice unless you have pets.  Most of the poisons and things
like ammonia should not be used around animals you care about.  Beer is
also not an option as it simply doesn't last long enough to damage any
snails.  <g>

I have found some new snail poisons in the nursery's that works very well.
They are very effective in killing snails without putting your pets at
risk.  I don't have a brand name handy, but look for products that have
iron chloride or iron phosphate as the active ingredient.  These are iron
salts that are non-toxic and break down cleanly in the soil.

                          		Scott Peterson
--
Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidence that you're