Re: [CH] Fish?

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Tue, 22 May 2001 14:05:54 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: "T. Matthew Evans" <matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 2:32 AM
Subject: RE: [CH] Fish?

> Hi Marilyn --
>
> When my wife and I lived in Southern California, I would go out tuna
fishing
> from time to time and would invariably return with a few yellowtail in
> addition to my tuna.

> My favourite thing to do with yellowtail was to smoke it.  If you hot
smoke
> (easiest for the home cook), then the process shouldn't take more than an
> hour or so in a kettle grill.  I typically use alder or fruit wood when
> smoking fish, as I think they are slightly more mild than, say, hickory or
> mesquite.  I usually just seasoned my fillets with kosher salt and cracked
pepper

Hello Again

I hot smoke quite a lot of fish in a small smoker made from a 5 gallon tin.
Mainly Snapper or Terakihi being white fish
plus Yelllowfin Tuna.Not to be confused with YellowTail Kingfish. We are
very lucky here having excellent native hardwoods  like Manuka and
Pohutukawa for smoking.
I use salt and brown sugar to season before hanging overnight. Hard to leave
alone hot from the smoker but great to make other dishes with. Like the
Simple fish pie recipe below.

Simple Fish pie
Annabelle White
500 grams White fish fillets, cubed
100 grams frozen peas
1 cup White sauce
3 slices Bread, cubed
25 grams butter, melted
85 grams Tasty cheese, grated
Chopped Chiles or powder to taste
Salt

Pre-heat oven to 190'c. Prepare the filling. Make the sauce (add fresh lemon
and dill) Cut the fish into chunks and transfer to a
pie dish.
Sprinkle peas over then pour over the white sauce and stir tightly,
Make the topping: out the bread into cubes and toss with the melted butter
Spread over the pie tilting and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45 minutes
until the topping is golden and the fish tender.

If you do not use packet sauce.
Basic white sauce.
1 table spoon flour
25 grams butter
1 cup milk

The easy way put all into a small saucepan and heat slowly stirring
constantly until thick enough, add few drops of lemon juice and parsley or
dill

Could also use Smoked fish.

Tony Flynn

Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand