RE: [CH] chile, chilli Sauce & Paste V7 #353

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Wed, 23 May 2001 08:59:02 -0700

> At 03:25 PM 5/23/01 +0200, T wrote:
> >> That would depend upon where one was learning "English". Let me
> >> remind the N. Americans on this list that you are seriously
> >> outnumbered in the spelling department,
> >
> >By whom?
> >
> >Seems to me that NA spellers speakers greatly outnumber UK spellers.
> population of the world, per capita, those who spell chilli
> probably outnumber
> those who use chile (UK, OZ, NZ, India and the rest of the
> southeast Asian
> Subcontinent as well as a good deal of the Pacific island nations.).

India is the largest English speaking county in the world, population
wise, iirc.
It's not only a business/Internet language but in India a lingua franca
that allows users of the 10,000 unique Indian dialects to converse with
each other.  The 10,000 could possibly be a bit exaggerated.

Riley