Re: [CH] OT Freezers

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:45:58 -0700

At 09:06 PM 5/21/2001, you wrote:
>So I am looking for some recommendations from list members who might
>own  one.  Brands?  Sizes?  Uprights or chests?  Any lemons?  I
>noticed one called a Avante had a interior that was made a of some
>type a metal and had a scraper.  It was a little to small for my
>taste.  My parents had one when I was little but it broke and they
>never got another one.  I remember it was small and I had a hard time
>fitting some boxes in it.  So I think I am going to shoot for one
>bigger than that one, it was a 5 cu ft. chest model.  So if you have
>had a freezer for a while, I would like to hear your thoughts.

The chest ones are very efficient because you don't lose cold air when you
open them. But they are much more awkward to find stuff in and to
defrost.  Also, unless you have lots of room they take up more floor space
than equivalent uprights.

I recommend a manual defrost minimum 12 cu-ft upright.   You're not going
to get more energy efficient than that. The manual defrost is more work but
you don't have nearly as much freezer burn and stuff does not dehydrate so
quickly.  Sears Kenmore line has several nice models.

                          		Scott Peterson
--
If you can stay calm, while all
around you is chaos...then you