Re: [CH] OT Freezers

Charles P Demas (cpd@world.std.com)
Wed, 23 May 2001 17:57:33 -0400

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Scott Peterson wrote:

> At 09:06 PM 5/21/2001, you wrote:
> >So I am looking for some recommendations from list members who might
> >own  one.  Brands?  Sizes?  Uprights or chests?  Any lemons?  ...
>
> The chest ones are very efficient because you don't lose cold air when you
> open them. But they are much more awkward to find stuff in and to
> defrost.  Also, unless you have lots of room they take up more floor space
> than equivalent uprights.
>
> I recommend a manual defrost minimum 12 cu-ft upright.   You're not going
> to get more energy efficient than that. The manual defrost is more work but
> you don't have nearly as much freezer burn and stuff does not dehydrate so
> quickly.

I have a 21 cu-ft upright manual defrost by GE.  FWIW, I live alone.

Lots of room, everything's easy to find.  Amana looked good, but I
bought from a local place, so there wouldn't be a service problem
later.  They service what they sell.  Buy local.

Do not buy a frost-free.  Freezerburn.

Buy as big a freezer as you can fit in.  Going to the next larger size
doesn't cost much, and you wont ever regret it.

Chuck Demas

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas