Re: [CH] I'VE BEEN ATTACKED

Ray Pfaff (raypfaff@erols.com)
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:03:15 -0400

Mary & Riley wrote:

> But iirc someone was talking about using capsaicin extract, bb guns and
> pellet guns on a cat--probably a family pet.

Okay, I'm probably going to get pelted on this one, but I was a cat owner.
My cat got hit by a car when she accidently got out one time.  I'm sure that
this colors my thinking here, but I feel that anyone that owns a cat and
lets it wander around (at least in an urban or suburban setting) is just
being an irresponsible pet owner.  Plus I could never figure out why you
would think I actually *want* your pet to use my mulch as litter...
That being said, I found a pretty good solution.  In some of the gun shows,
they sell blow guns and little paint gun pellets that have nice dayglow
colors.  If you hit a cat with one of these, it won't hurt the cat and it
tends to associate the yard rather than you with getting hit so they learn
pretty quick to stay out.  Also it leaves a lovely non-toxic dayglow
reminder of the visit that their owners can see :-)