[CH] Chuy's and Cuitlacoche

Wesley R. Dean (wdean@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:05:34 -0600

I almost entirely lurk, but I couldn't resist this one.  I ate at the old
Chuys in Austin many years ago and I expect its just the sort of place the
Bush kids would think of as really cool.  Nuff said.

Wesley Dean

Oh, and somebody sent out a request for Cuitlacoche recipes the other
day.  I made this a while back and it came out pretty tasty:

Cuitlacoche Ravioli
Follow your favorite pasta recipe.  I use lots of dark egg yolks and port.
Saute a few handfuls of shallots in olive oil.
Add a sprinkling of flat leaf parsley.
Cook until you get a bit of a glaze on the bottom of the pan and then
deglaze with port.
Toss in a couple of cans of cuitlacoche or one can and some soaked dried
mushrooms like morels or black chanterelles.
Cook a little longer and then add the soaking liquid.  Keep cooking and
reducing.
I put in a couple of chipotles in adobo.  I didn't want this hot because of
the delicate flavors of the mushrooms,but one or two give it a nice
flavor.  I guess you should just go with your own tolerances or obsessions.
Then add about half a bottle of port, a little bit at a time and keep
reducing until you have a scary looking black, thick paste for stuffing
your ravioli.

enjoy...