[CH] Ewwwwwww!

peg wolfe (sundevilpeg@hotmail.com)
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:29:06 -0500

  Gross!

Pursuant to this topic, I must tell you all that either my heat tolerance is
much higher than I thought (and it is right up there, believe me), or Scotch
Bonnets are WAY overrated heatwise.  I made a mango salsa last weekend to
use on some jerk pork, using two mangos and two SB's, which I would have
thought more than sufficient.  While the salsa was reasonably tasty, one
could have fed it to a five-year-old, at least one of our persuasion, and I
didn't even remove the ribs from the SB's, either.  Very disappointing.  In
fact, the pork was WAY hotter than the salsa, no joke.

BTW, speaking of jerk, here are two jerk pastes I highly recommend, a result
sampling at least half-a-dozen available here in Chicago over the past
decade:  Grace Jerk Seasoning, packed in Kingston, Jamaica, and JCS
(Jamaican Country Style) Brand Boston Jerk Seasoning, also of Jamaican
provenance, but distributed by a Florida firm.  The Grace brand is redder
and a bit sweeter; the Boston stuff is truly hard-core, to the point of
bearing a non-cutesy "KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN" label.  Here's the way
to go:  in a plastic zippy bag, put a good sized dollop of one of these, and
dilute it with maybe half-a-cup of pineapple juice.   Mix it up really well,
and add either chicken pieces, or my preference, a butterflied boneless pork
loin (t-loin is ok, too, but don't grill it very long) .   Do keep in mind
that the longer it sits in the paste mix, the hotter it gets, and I do mean
HOT HOT HOT, particularly with the latter paste.    I grill mine on a gas
grill, over low heat, and always use a smoke box.  Oak is good, hickory too,
but applewood is just......*sigh*.

Welcome to my dinner tonight!   ;o)

- Peg Wolfe
sundevilpeg@hotmail.com

PS  First hab sighting of the year on my overwintered plant, which I am
taking fiendish delight in trimming to  bonsai specifications; the natural
horizontal growth pattern of the plant and small flower and leaf size
intrigued me.  I am curious as to how big the chiles will get.  Further
bulletins as events warrant.