[CH] Aubergine & Chile Chutney

Jim Weller (Jim.Weller@salata.com)
09 Jul 01 11:08:55 -0800

 -=> Quoting Ron Hill to All <=-

 RH> My daughter has just returned from a Farmers' Market with a jar of
 RH> Aubergine and Chile chutney. She tells me that it is really good
 RH> (but expensive -  4 UK pounds a jat).. Does anyone have a recipe
 RH> for a chutney like this?

Here's three recipes that I managed to come up with. None tested and
none very hot but they are adaptable. These recipes are meant to be
consumed fresh, refrigerated briefly (say a week tops) and are not
canned or pickled.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Spicy Onion and Eggplant Chutney
 Categories: Pickles, Condiments, Indian, Relishes
      Yield: 12 Servings

      1 lg Texas sweet onion; diced
      1 md Eggplant; diced
      2    Garlic cloves; minced
    1/4 ts Cumin
    1/4 ts Salt
      2 tb Olive oil
      2 tb White wine vinegar
      1    Green bell pepper;
           -minced
      2 tb Lemon juice
           Crushed red-pepper flakes
      1 ts Chopped fresh parsley

  In large skillet, saute onion, eggplant, garlic, cumin and salt in oil
  and vinegar until eggplant is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add bell
  pepper; saute 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and red pepper; saute
  another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temp.

  Recipe By: Low-Fat Meals, Woman's Day, 4/96
  Busted by Gail Shermeyer <4paws@netrax.net>

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Curried Eggplant Chutney
 Categories: Condiments, Curry, Relishes, Indian
      Yield: 1 Servings

    1/2 lb Eggplant; cut into
    1/2    -inch cubes
      1 sm Red bell pepper; cut into
    1/2    -inch pieces
      1 sm Onion; cut into
    1/2    -inch pieces
    1/4 c  Water
      2 tb Fresh lemon juice
      2 tb Cider vinegar
      1 ts Curry powder
    1/2 ts Mustard seeds
    1/4 c  Firmly packed light brown
           Sugar
           Salt to taste
      1 tb Chopped fresh flat-leafed
           Parsley leaves

  In a saucepan simmer eggplant, bell pepper, and onion in water, lemon
  juice, and cider vinegar with curry powder, mustard seeds, and 1/4 cup
  brown sugar, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until
  most of liquid is evaporated. Season mixture with salt and stir in
  parsley. Cool chutney to room temperature.  Chutney may be made 1 week
  ahead and chilled, covered.

  Recipe By: Gourmet April 1996