Re: [CH] Szug or Z'hug

Bill & Linda Moats (moats@valint.net)
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:24:00 -0700

Here's a little different version posted to the list over three years. I
made it once as kind of a joke since it's about half raw serranos and half
raw garlic but the Hawaiian side of the family gobled it right up.

This recipe was posted to the list several years ago, I think by the
gentleman
who was a newspaper editor (in Seattle?).  I have fond memories of the zhug
had in Israel last year, and it's a fun word to say, but I haven't tried the
recipe yet.  Erica
<<YEMENITE ZHUG (Yemenite Hot Sauce)
1 lb. serranos
5 whole heads of garlic, peeled
1 bunch fresh cilantro, well rinsed
1 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 tsp powdered cumin
salt to taste
Olive oil to cover

Blend in food processor. Makes + or - about a pint. Stores well in
refrigerator.

Now, some variations. Use habs, seeds and all. Serranos taste wonderful
but habs taste better and pack more kick. I use seeds and all, just cut
off the stems.

Add some olive oil while blending. Your mileage may vary.

For "dried hot red pepper flakes" I use my other killer app, habs and
chipotles, 1 to 1, ground fine.

Does 5 whole heads of garlic seem a bit much? Resist the temptation to
scrimp. Inconceivable that a C-H would be a garlic wimp.

You can't beat this combination of flavors. Add it to anything you can
think of. Let your imagination run wild. I use it a lot for salad dressing
bases. For me, a dab of zhug, then olive oil and lemon juice, is all a
salad needs.>>