Re: [CH] Aji Amarillo/PB/Almost Hot Luck

Matt Prerost (mprerost@home.com)
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:32:11 -0500

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:03:35 -0700, you wrote:

>> I use a Weber Smokey Mountain to smoke everything from ribs
>> and pork butts
>> ( http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/butt/ ), Scallops, skirt
>> steak shrimp and
>> salmon.  I also often use it to make smoked peppers, from
>> jalepenos to habs.
>> The fact that it has been used to smoke meats seems to make
>> no difference to
>> the flavor of the peppers.  I suppose it's because it is a
>> water smoker that I
>> never use hotter than about 260 degrees and the meat never
>> touches anything but
>> the grate, which I then flame clean in my gas grill.
>
>I've been following this thread with interest--what's the purpose of a
>'water smoker'?  What's the water for, and is this any better or used
>differently than a non-water smoker?
>
>Warm regards,
>
>Riley

Well it keeps the meat moist, reduces shrinkage, and allows more of
the smoke flavor to be absorbed.  I guess a non-water smoker would
smoke what you want, but would not be as juicy as the water one.  The
water cooking principle works on many of other things as well.  One
thing I do is put a roasting pan filled with a little water on the
bottom rack of my oven and on the top rack I put a thin crust
"Tombstone" pizza on the top.  I raise the temp halfway through and
the cheese starts to turn slightly brown on the edges and the crust
come out nice and soft.  Try cooking one of those with out the water
and the crust is hard as a rock and will choke you to death.

Right after I bought mine I thought to my self how often am I going to
use this thing?  After all I only bought it to smoke peppers.  I am
yet to smoke any peppers, but I use at least 2 to 3 times a month.  I
smoke pork loin at least once a month.  You can buy $1.50 blocks of
cheddar cheese that when smoked will taste every bit as good as a
blocks that cost 4 or more dollars.  Use the smoker to cook up meat
for Gumbo!!  Cook cornish hens, chickens or maybe a turkey, the list
goes on and on.

Matt