Re: [CH] Chile-head wannabe

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:18:47 -0400

Welcome!
I am sure that I speak for most when I say "you are doing fine for a beginner!"
Speaking for myself -As for the tomato juice in beer.. yuck but each to his/her
own.
As for the herb garden, my advice is plant what you use and watchout what you
plant as some herbs love to take over large areas.  I suggest you plant in 2
foot squares or better yet pots ( you can winter over a lot of herbs that way
you enjoy longer) (peppers too!).  There has been lot of rambling as to what
material to make your squared areas out of, I use pressure treated lumber then
place black plastic inside the squares (punch large slits for drainage and put
pea stone on top of the plastic) and then you can make your own soil to suit
your needs.  Or make you own idea as to how to keep out the roots of those
wandering herbs.  Mint is a prime example of roots of plants going where they
want and taking over.
Why the plastic?  To leep the pressure treated material out of my food and keep
out those roots.  No fool proof but pretty close.
Again, welcome to the [CH]
You'll grow into hotter and hotter as you experiment.

Chet
a.k.a. ChesterChile