Re: [CH] Bird feeders/squirrels

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 08:05:03 -0500

Pecos wrote:

> As for the 'tastes like chicken' MISinformation...

> Rabbit doesn't taste like chicken (thankfully!), especially after getting
> the gamey taste out of it.
> Rattlesnake tastes like chicken tho...

Not really...... tastes like rattlesnake

MMMMM----- Meal MAster Recipe

      Title: BRAISED RATTLESNAKE
 Categories: Game
      Yield: 1 Recipe

  The delicacies of ratlesnake meat was introduced to us at an early
  age by my father, the youngest son of John Bowen, the Founder of
  Pleasanton, Tx. As a cowboy on the old Judge Noonan Circle Dot ranch,
  with his 44 Colt six-shooter now in the Ben Parker Atascosa Museum,
  he'd blast the head off a sizeable diamond back and supper was
  practically in the pot.

  Cut 5" sections of the dressed rattler till you have about 2 pounds.
  Salt and pepper; dip in milk and roll in flour.  In 2 or 3 T. of
  hot fat sizzle in a heavy skillet till golden brown on both sides.

  With slices of onion on top of the meat, add a scant cup or so of hot
  water, cover tight and simmer.  Don't boil.  Very slowly on low heat
  for about an hour until it's tender as your heart.  A sprinkle or two
  of milk for the last fifteen minutes is all to the good.  Add a
  little garlic and, if you want your spurs to really jingle, throw in,
  as your conscience dictates, a grab of chili-petines.

  It's larrupin' good all right; but if you're feeding a dude tell him
  it's flown-in breast sections of baby French pheasants or hind legs
  of a new breed of frogs and he'll CHUPAR LOS DEDOS!!

  SUBMITTED BY JOHN BOWEN, IV

  SOURCE: "Brush Country Cookbook, Pleasanton's Bicentenial Cookbook",
  1976

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Crispy Rattlesnake Coils
 Categories: Appetizers, Exotic
      Yield: 10 Servings

      1    Rattlesnake; cut in strips
           Flour, Salt & Cayenne mix
           Crisco

  PREPARATION Cut rattlesnake into 8" strips about 1/4" thick. Salt and
  pepper lightly. Put flour mix into a container that can be covered.
Add
  strips. Shake. Refrigerate for about two hours. This will allow the
  flour to become sticky and while the Crisco is heating in a deep
  fryer, pull the pieces apart and re-flour the pieces again.  Add
  flour if necessary. When the Crisco shortening is hot, add only
  enough snake strips so that all pieces are covered by the hot grease.

  Fry until golden brown. Dump into a container that has been prewarmed
  in the oven. Continue frying the rest of the rattlesnake strips.

  NOTE:  The fried rattlesnake strips will appear to be coiled!

  SERVING Use a basket lined with a cloth napkin. Add the fried, coiled
  snake pieces. Cover with the napkin.

  REMARKS: This is an untested recipe! Directions are duplicated from a
  restaurant in Phoenix, Arizona

  Taken from: IT NEVER TURNS OUT THE SAME WAY COOKBOOK
              A Collection of Recipes from the Kitchen
              of Joyce and Clem Kohl

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider