Re: [CH] A question about capsicum and cooking?

Andy (quark@erols.com)
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:48:20 -0400

Darrell Harless wrote:

>     I have a couple of questions for you all.    First
> I'm looking for Capsicum extract.   I don't want a
> sauce but a additive to use in making my own sauces.
>  I know that there is a product called Pure Cap.   Is
> that what I'm looking for?   Or is there something
> better on the market?

I've been using Pur Cap for several years.

I have found it too strong for personal use. Accordingly, in small
batches, I dilute it 3 parts grain alcohol to one part Pur Cap.  (I put
it in a good eye dropper bottle - remove the label!)  The alcohol both
dilutes and preserves it (for travel).  3-5 drops well heats a cup of
soup -- without altering the basic flavor of the soup.

>     Also  I need some help in a cooking related issue.
>   No matter how hard I clean my pots and pans.   My
> family claims that they can feel the heat when they
> use the pans at a later time.   This is especially
> true with my Cast Iron skillet.

Cast iron is very porous.  The idea is that with use, it fills with
grease (oil when hot).  Capsaicin dissolves in oil.  Thus, your
problem.  Better to use a coated aluminum (e.g. "T-Fal").

Andy