Re: [CH] michelada

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:58:49 -0400

Michelada Regular

Ingredients:

2 oz Tequila (Casa Noble Crystal)
Juice of 2 Lemon
1 tsp grain Salt
Corona, Sol or Dos Equis
4 cubes Ice

Mixing instructions:

Add lemon juice to the ice cubes in beer mug.  Add salt and stir to
blend.  Add tequila and stir to blend.  Fill with Corona, Sol or Dos
Equis.

Creator/contributor's comments:

Very popular drink for the beach in the Puerto Vallarta area.
Is refreshing and delicious.  An alternative ingredient is called "sal
de gusano" (worm salt), made in Oaxaca, Mexico, and is made from toasted
agave worms, chili and salt, using it istead of regular salt.  Be
careful, though, to use only 1/4 of a teaspoon on this one, because it
is VERY strong (but tastes really great).

Hope this helps....

Myron

Mary Going wrote:

> Any ideas?
>
> Dear FireGirl:
>
> My name is Tim Weiner, and I am a reporter for The New York Times based in
> Mexico City. I am writing a story about the origin, meaning and mystery of
> the Michelada, that indescribably delicious concoction, known to few
> gringos, made of beer, served over ice, with lime, Worchestershire sauce,
> Maggi, Tabasco, soy, pepper and salt. (Though wimps make it from only lime
> and salt).
>
> Have you in your experience ever heard of the Michelada? Tasted one? Do you
> have any idea where the drink was born, and when, and why?
>
> Any and all thoughts and theories would be welcome.
> Thanks
> Tim Weiner
> The New York Times
> Mexico City bureau

Myron Menaker                      Daytona Beach FL USA
myronm@bellsouth.net     |
              I'd rather be singing!        |     |