RE: [CH] Recipe Search: Eggplant Chili

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:45:58 -0700

Marmot,

Unusual name--cool!

Maybe you'll like this.  It's not chili, but it goes good with lots of
stuff.  Roasted Eggplant hummus.  Started out a bit lower fat that most,
but I see I upped the tahinni.  Inspired by Risa's Kick Butt Hummus.

Riley

* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Roasted Eggplant Chile Hummus

Recipe By     :Riley
Categories    : Appetizers                      Beans
                Chiles

  1                     eggplant -- roasted
  3         15 oz cans  Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) -- rinsed and drained
  5             cloves  garlic cloves (1/2 head) -- roasted
  5             cloves  garlic cloves (1/2 head) -- chopped
  2             ounces  lemon and/or lime  juice
     3/4           cup  tahini -- or more
  1           teaspoon  Mild New Mexican Chile Powder (Jim's Mild
                        to Wild Pepper and Herb Co)
  1           teaspoon  Chipotle powder (Mild to Wild)
  1           teaspoon  Smoked red Savina powder (Mild to Wild) -- See
note
  1         tablespoon  Ground cumin -- to taste
                        salt and pepper -- to taste
     1/4         bunch  cilantro -- chopped

Cut the eggplant lengthwise in half and place skin side up in broiler.
Roast until skin blisters, then turn cut-side up for a few more minutes
until cooked through.  Remove and cover in a plastic bag until needed.
Roast half the head of garlic at the same time.  Individual cloves with
skin on.

Peel the roasted and fresh garlic and put in blender or food processor.
Add the chickpeas and  tahini (I pour off some of the oil separated from
tahini to reduce the oil content).  Peel the eggplant and add it, the
New Mex and Chipotle powders, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper and some
cilantro and blend until smooth.  Adjust texture and taste with tahini
and lemon juice, salt and various powders.  Set some aside 1/3 or so for
non-ChileHeads and add the Savina Powder.

  "Lowered fat recipe.  Inspired by RisaG's "Kick-Butt Hummus""
Yield:
  "4 cups"

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 19 Calories; 2g Fat (67.9%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 4mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve with toasted Flat bread and/or Pita bread.
Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and drizzle with olive oil (optional).

NOTES : After adding everything except the Savina powder I put aside
about 1/3 for non-ChileHeads and added the Savina to the remaining 2/3.

Chle powders from http://www.wildpepper.com/
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0