Re: [CH] This evening's meal...

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Pam Rudd <pamrudd@mindspring.com>:

> At 08:57 PM 08/09/2001 -0500, Michelle DeWitt wrote:
> > so I learned an awesome thing
> >tonight and that is: polenta, grits and cornmeal are the same
> thing!!!
>
> Ah...no.
>
> Grits and cornmeal are *not* the same thing. Whether
> polenta is cornmeal or grits seems to depend on what
> part of Europe you're from, or at least that's what I gather
> from the European grad students here at the university.
>
> Pam

Corn is treated with lime prior to grinding in order to make grits.  Not so
with cornmeal or polenta.  Polenta is generally a different grind of corn than
is meal, and the "heart" is usually removed from the kernal for polenta
(aesthetics only).  But, yes, all three may often be used interchangably....

Matt

Sent through Cyberbuzz- A Server for the Students
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/