Re: [CH] question for a big brain

Neale Yates (Neale.Yates@vu.edu.au)
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:44:49 +1000

Can't wait to hear what the neo-luddites have to say about this!

In theory it should be possible, however because CAP isn't a protein it would
require identification of multiple genes coding for the various enzymes used by
the plant to synthesize CAP.  Sounds like a lot of work to produce a funny
shaped Poblano.

A super chile should be easier since only one gene might require modification.
The fact that no one has done it yet suggests that even this isn't easy.  I
would have thought that the red savina mutation should make identification (as
opposed to working out how make it even 'better') of the gene relatively easy -
maybe the red savina owners have the intellectual property sewn up.

regards

Neale
(fireworksfoods.com.au)