Re: [CH] question for a big brain

Pam Rudd (pamrudd@mindspring.com)
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:01:57 -0400

At 11:44 AM 08/14/2001 +1000, Neale Yates wrote:
>Can't wait to hear what the neo-luddites have to say about this!

>A super chile should be easier since only one gene might require modification.
>The fact that no one has done it yet suggests that even this isn't easy.  I
>would have thought that the red savina mutation should make identification (as
>opposed to working out how make it even 'better') of the gene relatively
easy -
>maybe the red savina owners have the intellectual property sewn up.

 My guess is that it's a matter of supply and demand. If there was
enough demand for a hotter pepper, then someone would produce
one. However, R&D cost big bucks these days, and plant transgenics
are controversial. If there's no potential profit, there's no motivation to
do the research.

Pam
---
I support everyone's right to their beliefs. I just don't think those with
beliefs counter to mine should ask that I moderate my behaviour to satisfy
their beliefs (Julian Macassey).