Re: [CH] Re: Heat

Eruna Schultheiss (eruna@taom.com)
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:18:02 -0600

on 9/7/01 11:13, Brent Thompson at brent@hplbct.hpl.hp.com wrote:

> I like serranos very much too, but fyi there are no serranos in India, so
> in India they use green cayennes for green chile input and red cayennes for
> red chile input, and imho this original flavor is the best for Indian food.
> Of course, green serranos are not a very big difference in flavor from
> cayennes, and they don't ruin the flavor of Indian food ....,
> so I can understand why you might use serranos instead of cayennes
> if you cannot get fresh green cayennes during winter.
>
> We solve this problem by freezing a bunch of fresh green cayennes every
> fall, enough to last until next year's crop begins to be available.  The
> flavor of the fresh green chiles, not the texture, is what is important in
> almost all Indian preparations, so the frozen cayennes work fine.
>
> ---   Brent

Brent,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I should remember that in India green
Cayennes are used (I learned to cook Indian food in Bombay and Madras).
Living here in Colorado however, all my Indian friends are substituting
green Serranos - that's what the Indian stores sell.
Habits can become so strong and make us forget what the original
process/action was ....

Thanks so much for reminding me, and yes I will use green Cayennes next time
I cook Indian food (which will be tonight), and also work with the frozen
ones during the winter.

Best regards,

Eruna