Agricultural checkpoints (was Re: [CH] Hatch chiles)

Dana H. Myers (dana@dioxine.com)
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:37:56 -0700

Gary Belinger wrote:

>Thought they only did that type of thing up here along the border of the
>great white north to make sure we didn't smuggle anything into the country
>that would be detrimental to our country's budget like a carton of smokes or
>the finest selection from Frontier Liquor. Must admit this revelation of
>halting the spread of cross-border chile transporting has enlightened me
>somewhat. And made me confused and bamboozled!

Agricultural checkpoints are intended to prevent the spread of pests.
 It's not
about taxes, it's about protecting the local agricultural business from
'imported'
pests.  If you canned a bunch of those Hatch chilis, I don't believe the
California
ag inspectors would or even could say a thing.

Dana  K6JQ
dana@dioxine.com