Re: [CH] Hatch chiles

Eric Murray (ericm@lne.com)
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:48:28 -0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:46:34AM -0400, T. Matthew Evans wrote:

> When my wife and I moved from NM to SoCal we managed to smuggle in a "few"
> green chiles to get us started in our new home.  Additionally, we had some
> house plants as well.  We were successful doing this a few times while
> living in CA.  Generally, if one "appears" respectable, is courteous to the
> folks at the checkpoint, and does not otherwise raise suspicions, then they
> will simply ask you if you have any veggies in your car, but will not
> search.
>
> It is up to you as to how you answer their questions....

Yea, you can get by with lots if you're white and don't look poor.
(I've known some cal. ag inspectors, and 'driving while brown/black'
is much more likely to get your vehicle inspected.)

Not all fruits and vegs are restricted, if you want you could
call up the california agriculture inspection folks and ask
if it's ok to bring in chiles.

Eric