Re: [CH] Pepper Mash?

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:30:25 -0700 (PDT)

Let me give this a shot with my understanding....please correct me if
I'm wrong.

I believe the "traditional" mash is made just like you make saurkraut.
Clean, destem the chiles.  Slice, julienne, etc. your peppers.  Place
one layer of your peppers in your crock (don't use plastic).  Then,
using KOSHER salt (not table salt) sprinkle some salt over the first
layer.  Continue again with pepper, then salt, pepper, salt, etc.  Seal
airtight.

Let sit for....oh, 3 years.  ;-)  something like that.  A couple months
may do though.

I, myself, don't create a "mash" per se in this manner.  I typically
just clean and destem, then chop my peppers and place in a big glass
bowl.  Then, pour enough vinegar to come to the top of the peppers when
weighted down.  I keep this airtight and stir after a week.  Then, let
sit another week, stir again.  Let sit another week, then stir.  Let
sit one MORE week and stir and then puree and bottle.

Ted