Re: [CH] queso

Eric Murray (ericm@lne.com)
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 20:07:55 -0700

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:57:13PM -0400, Gary Belinger wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I've been looking for a good recipe for rellenos. Could you post your recipe
> to the list or email me the recipe off-list. I would sure appreciate it.

Ok.  It's not real rellenos, but it's easy and tasty.

from the Green Chile Bible (subtitle Award-winning New Mexico recipies)
Clear Light Publishers, Sanfe Fe, NM:
[ericm modifications in brackets]

Chiles Rellenos Guillermos

10 whole green chiles, peeled
[6-8 fresh Poblanos, roasted peeled and seeded]
1/2 lb jack cheese, cut into 10 strips
[1/2 lb queso fresco ranchera, grated/crumbled]
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
[I leave this out]
3 eggs
1/4 flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
dash of liquid hot sauce
[I leave the pepper and hot sauce out too but add
3-4 small hot chiles, roasted peeled & seeded]

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
[chop small hot chiles, mix with grated cheese]
Stuff peppers with cheese [or cheese/chile mix].
Place in a small square baking pan (recipe calls for 9x13, I use 9x9)
Beat eggs, add flour, beat till smooth.
Add milk, salt, pepper, hot sauce, beat throughly.
Pour egg mixture over chiles, add cheddar cheese.
Bake uncovered for 45 minute or until a knife
inserted in the custard comes out clean.
Serves 4

I serve this with rice and beans.

BTW, I have only seen this book for sale in touristy bookstores in
NM, but it's pretty good.  It does have a number of, um, white trash
style dishes (i.e. Chile dogs in blankets: hotdogs in crescent rolls with
american cheese and chiles) but there's also a lot of more authentic
type dishes.

Eric