Re: [CH] Miss Dewi Pepper Drying

Paul Karpowicz (hondamedic@mediaone.net)
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:11:11 -0400

Miss Dewi,
  Please excuse the delay in responding to your inquiry.
My experience has been that most thin walled peppers (i.e Cayenne's &
Thais),  can be dried with warmth & low humidity, such as a south facing
window indoors. But thick walled peppers (such as Cherry/Jals/Bells) require
a higher temperature to prevent mold on the inside of pepper if trying to
dry whole & even sliced. Prior to receiving a dehydrator I used the "oven on
lowest setting" method which can be found at the following websites:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg092041017690.html
http://www.bellaonline.com/food_and_wine/food/hot_and_spicy/articles/art9955
92871527.htm
http://edgein.home.mindspring.com/stuff.html

 Last year I was able to borrow a dehydrator & this year I received one as a
gift so I have been drying a lot more peppers. This is one kitchen accessory
that a C-H really needs to own if they grow more than they can use. I
scrounged a large quantity of the old style canning jars with the spring
bail to hold the glass lid on & found a site that has the "unavailable"
rubber seals to form an airtight seal. Have been drying a much larger number
of peppers this year for winter use because it's a lot easier than
traditional canning methods.
   Hope this helps,
      Paul (The NorthEast ChileMan)
PS As the worlds greatest procrastinator, it should come as no surprise that
your package hasn't left the USA yet/the good news is I found another chile
gift to put in it. If I haven't told you yet, received yours a week ago
today.
   Thank-you very much!!!!   XOXOXO