Re: [CH] zanahoria

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:41:27 -0700

Willaim Polak wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for a Mexican dish using carrots(zanahoria in
> Spanish), chiles and I think, onions. I think it's pickled and served as
> an appetizer. Thanks.

Sounds like...

Chiles en Escabeche

  3 cloves garlic
  1 large carrot
  1 white onion
  8 to 10 fresh green jalapenos
  1/2 cup cider vinegar
  1 bay leaf
  1/2 teaspoon crushed Mexican oregano
  1/2 teaspoon crushed thyme
  3 or 4 whole black peppercorns
  oil for sauteeing (I use my homemade chile oil)
  course grind salt to taste

Peel and slice the carrot into thin diagonal slices.  Peel and
slice the onion into thin rings.  Peel and slice the garlic
lengthwise into thin slices.  Make one lengthwise slit in each
chile from just below the shoulder to just above the tip.  Heat
the oil in a skillet and when hot, add the sliced garlic.  Saute
briefly until just starting to turn golden.  Add carrot, onion
and chiles.  Saute for another 5 minutes or so or until the onion
slices become translucent.  Add a half cup of water, the cider
vinegar, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and a half teaspoon
or so of salt.  Cover and cook over low-medium heat for 10 minutes
or until the carrots are cooked but still crisp.  Add more salt
to taste if desired.  Pour into a glass or other non-reactive
container, cover and refrigerate.  The pickled veggies will
be ready to eat the next day.

--
"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling
alliances with none..."

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/