[CH] RE: Pepper Marinade

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:58:28

>From: "T. Matthew Evans" <matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu>

>A little closer to home, take a
>guess as to the main ingredient in Old Bay
>Seasoning....mmmmmmmm.....crabs....

I always thought that distinctive flavor and aroma came mainly from the
celery seed.  When I want to imitate Old Bay, I start with celery salt and
paprika.  Since the original has a lot of pepper powder in it anyway, you
can drive the recipe with just about any kind of ground chiles you like.

I like bay leaf, though; years ago I made salads for a trendy little
restaurant, and they had to tell me to lighten up on the bay leaf when I
parboiled chicken breasts to make a chicken salad.  I always put it in my
soup stocks, and often I'll slip a few leaves under the rack when I roast
meat.

- A

then I pull them out, put them on a chair, and rest on my laurels.