Re: [CH] Serious De-Lurking going on

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:25:09 -0600

>>I have been anxiously waiting for the chiles that I
planted three weeks ago to sprout........   Can anyone comment on this.  Once before I planted Habeneros and they took 6 - 8 weeks to show themselves.<<

Wolf,

I have great success using a steady 85-86°F bottom heat for my pepper seeds.  This year I started 13 varieties on 3/27.  By 4/3 11 varieties had sprouted.  The earliest was 4 days.  These were mostly seeds that I purchased in 1997 & kept refrigerated in sealed containers.  This was a large improvement over previous years when I had germinated seeds at 75°.  I did no soaking or pretreating of the seeds.  I believe that 86° is the optimal temperature & that there is a very definite slowing down at lower & higher temps.

Note:  I am not near the pepper *expert* of many on this list, so take this advice for what it is worth.  But I'm not new to gardening either.  Hopefully one of them will corroborate my input.

John