Re: [CH] Restaurant Review - La Cabanas

Tee Bear (traderbear@thehitchingpost.com)
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:00:44 -0500

Ted, of course you *have* to go back and have more, if only to pin down
that taste.  It is your duty ... in the name of research.

Unconventional or not,  you were descriptive.  *Dark* conveys taste
quite well. Please do share the the recipe if you even get close in your
quest to reproduce the slaw.  Think I will play with the idea too --
even I can mix up slaws.

I had hit the net for a jalapeno and slaw recipe right after you told us
about it.  No serious prospects turned up in that brief search, but a
recipe at www.texascook.com for Jalapeno Corn Slaw had this interesting
intro:  "You don't find much coleslaw in mexico, but cabbage marinated
with vinegar and chiles is a popular relish in central America. This
recipe combines the central American chile-cabbage concept with good old
American coleslaw"  This one calls for a champagne vinegar tho.  Likely
to be mild, not rich and dark.

Tee

>> Ted Wagner <trwagner1@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm going to go back and have more!  ;-)

I'll try.  It was course shredded cabbage and slivers of carrots with
some slivers of seeded jalapenos.  The dressing is what was rather
intriguing.

I can't describe it.  Well, I'll try.  It TASTES like it was made with
a dark low acidic vinegar, sugar and worcestershire sauce.  But, I
don't think I'm even CLOSE.  To be truthful with you.  I describe
things in the most unconventional way.  It tasted "dark" to me...dark
as in a rich, very mild vinegar taste...ok, here's the beer side of me
showing through...

I'm going to have to go on a quest to search for a recipe close to this
and reproduce it.

. . .

> Could you tell us more about the slaw?  Was it a milk-mayo-type
> dressing or vinegary or sweet?

<<