[CH] Indiv reaction to chiles heat

Tee Bear (traderbear@thehitchingpost.com)
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:53:47 -0500

Come to think of it, Mary, what you describe matches my past experience
in reacting to alcoholic drinks even during a short period of time in my
youth where I had built up a high alcohol tolerance.  On occasion, a
single drink would knock me on my toot, regardless of whether or not I
had food in my tummy!  Wine was more likely to do it than hard liquor.
Guess it should not be surprising that kind of chemical reaction could
be equally true with chiles (or, I suppose, about anything else).

Tee

----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Going <mary@firegirl.com>
To: Chile-Heads <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] thanks re Scorned Woman / heat diffs / sauce life

To make it even more complicated, I think some sauces are hotter on some
days than on other days - like it's my personal chemistry, *and* my
chemistry changes from day to day.

As for refrigeration, it depends on the ingredients in the sauce. Fruity
sauces, for example, should always be refrigerated, but sauces like 99%
Habanero Mash, which is just habaneros, salt and vinegar (and one of my
current favorites!), can last outside the refrigerator indefinitely.

- mary

not merely "hot."  Do you think maybe a person's own personal chemistry
>also comes into play, reacting differently to the ingredient combos in
>various sauces???  I don't mean just the degree of built-up tolerance,
>but personal chemical interactions.  (course, mabee I just got two
>bottles of sauce with peppers that werent' the norm, eh?)
>
>BTW, how long can you safely keep opened bottles of sauces around?  I
>refrigerate mine, but do you have to?

                            www.firegirl.com
                   (Even the Devil shops here...)
       Over 800 hot sauces and other spicy products!