[CH] Re: sauce injection (was Turkey)

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:28:21

>From: "buzz" <buzzdean@wctc.net>

>It seems you can inject a lot of heat into a turkey and still end up with a
>bird that is only mildly spicy--alot seems to dissapate in the cooking
>Buzz

This weekend I'll have an opportunity to try something like that.  We'll be
going to a "teachers' retreat" on a ridgetop in Vinton County, and I'm
responsible for providing the meat course of the dinner, for 20 - 30 people.
  Right now my Kroger has 10-pound bags of chicken leg quarters at $.39/lb,
so I think I'll get two.  Then I'll have enough to be able to try a few
things.  Some will be brined and smoke-grilled, but I could easily have some
"wings" style with a pepper or bbq style sauce.  That butter/Frank's
injection sounds like it's worth a try.  And I can try something with
chipotle, too.

I've only recently started using the injection technique.  I was raised with
my mom's chicken roasting method, which was to put all the seasonings on the
skin.  Now I just put a little bit of seasoning on the skin for appearance,
but the real flavor is in the meat itself.  Another thing I've done, without
injecting, is to lift the skin away from the bird and sprinkle dry
seasonings under it.  That's better than putting it on the outside, but it
still doesn't deeply flavor the meat like injection does.

- A