[CH] a new hot sauce...

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:03:54 RSA-2

> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:50:26 -0500
> From: bill jernigan <billjernigan@iqonline.net>

Bill wrote..

> it's called "perks peri-peri african heat"...a quick trip to
> the web site http://www.perksperiperi.com reveals the
> following:

> What they're talking about is the "flame from Africa", Perks
> Peri-Peri, a wonderfully hot and spicy marinade and basting
> sauce making its way onto the American market.

A small C. frutescens chile.  For the impaired a small tabasco
type.  Note this is not a C. annuum which has a different
flavour so do not substitute piquin, birds eye (annuum) or any
C. annuum type.

> "The Peri-Peri bean, grown only in Africa and the Iberian
> Peninsula, is the source of our distinctive flavor", says
> Steve Perkins, founder and owner. "Then we add fresh lemons,
> onions, chiles, and other natural spices to create a final
> blend that represenets a whole new taste in the fiery foods
> arena", he continued. [end quote]

> peri-peri bean?...anybody know what this is?...

Marketing bulldust for "If you knew what we were talking about
you would not buy it at this price"  The chile they are talking
about is a small erect growing conical chile ~10mm +/- 5mm long.
Thin skin and packed with seeds, difficult to germinate.  Spread
by birds throughout Africa and has been described as a weed.
Harvesting is interesting to say the least and an hours picking
will not weigh much.  _Bean_ is to throw you off the true source
of their "secret".

If all else fails to turn up Zimbabwe bird, African devil... use
C. frutescens var tabasco chiles.  Nobody will know the
difference.  If a bit more heat is desired add some C. chinense
var habanero or remove the seeds.

Jim C (Mild to Wild) grew some African devil a few years back
but as far as I know does not have any now.

The seed I have is old (+4 years) maybe I should plant some this
year ;-)

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?