[CH] Pepper cuttings

Charles Knaper (cpknaper@hotsprings.net)
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:28:47 -0600

Hi Mike,

No. this is my first attempt at cuttings of any kind. I attempt to overwinter
my primary pepper plants each winter. Lost most of them last year due the deep
ice freeze/storm here in Arkansas. This year started trimming back the years
growth on those that did survive last winter, and couldn't bear throwing away
all the limbs removed. So I stuck some of them in water cups, and some in
potting soil. I doused the buried portion heavily in rooting hormone powder
before covering them.  About a 90% of the potted ones are still alive after
over 6 weeks. They haven't grown much, but have developed some new leaves, and
some have actually continued to bud, and two actually developed new peppers,
Firecracker. My habs were from 2 to 3 year old, and so far the main plants
have survived being moved into my basement. Note, All of my plants are
permanently potted. 3 are in 14 gallon pots, 2 are in 17 quart pots. The Red
Savina top leaves were a total of 7 feet from the base of the 14 gallon pot,
with hundreds of fruit.

Hope this helps
Charles