Re: [CH] chili lights - warning

Stallcup, Michael (Michael.Stallcup@msfc.nasa.gov)
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:56:07 -0600

On 11/25/01 Diane Salts wrote:

>Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:09:41 -0800
>From: "Diane Salts" <diannesalts@home.com>
>Subject: [CH] chili lights
>
>For those of you who have a Target store near you, chili lights are
>now available for 7.99 US$. They come in all red or multi-color
>(red,green,yellow) single chilies on a line (35 lights), clustered
>chilies (5 clusters of 8), or a swag of chilies (like you see when
>they are tied in a bunch).

Seasons Greetings, C-H's!

We have had chile lights on our Christmas tree for many years and we
love them.  A few years ago I was given a beautiful decoration which
a friend had made by tying a string of chile lights together in the
form of a ristra, tied at the top with corn husks.  I put it in my
office on a 24 hour timer set to come on only when I was at work and
not come on at all on weekends.

At the end of the season, while packing away my decorations, I
noticed that some of the plastic chile covers in the ristra had
blackened but not melted.  It seemed to be mainly the chile lights in
the center of the bunch which were tightly packed against other
chiles.  "Hot" chiles are good, but not like that!

I suspect that the plastic chiles and lights were intended to have
free air circulation around them to keep them from overheating.  I
have never noticed any overheating or discoloration in any of the
chile lights I've had on my Christmas tree.  If you get one of the
"swags" of chiles which Diane describes please be careful to not let
them overheat.

As with most things in life, if used as it was designed it works
fine.  Now I only plug the ristra in for a few hours at a time and
never for eight hours straight.

--
Mike  (C-H #36, hab seed intact)
Carpe Capsicum!