Re: [CH] RE: WI Brats

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:51:42 -0800

David Cook wrote:

> They are coarse ground all-beef, seasoned with spices (coriander, etc.) and
> usually sold fresh (i.e. not pre-cooked). They are best boiled (in beer and
> onions) and then grilled over charcoal, served in a brat bun (a crusty roll)
> with mustard and onions (fresh or grilled).

I use a 50:50 mix of ground beef and pork when I make bratwurst, so
I guess my brats wouldn't be considered WI brats.  Most brat recipes
I've come across call for a pork/veal mixture (guess they ain't WI
brats either) but the cost of veal makes it prohibitive, so I use
regular lean beef instead.  I made some brats for Octoberfest this
year, as I do every October, and seeing as I had all them bags of
roasted, peeled Hatch chiles in the freezer, I added chopped green
chiles to the meat mix.  Mmmmm, mmmm...good stuff!

--
"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling
alliances with none..."

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/