[CH] Recipe: Atole / Chauquehue (was: Oatmeal)

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:01:08 -0700

Malt'o'meal is a good choice for that - and not too far off from
the northern New Mexican / Native American dish, atole.

Atole (Blue Corn Gruel)
Yield: 4 servings                 Cooking Time: Approximately
Temperature: Medium                 5 minutes

1/4 cup blue corn, atole flour     2 cups milk, approximately
1/2 cup water                      1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling, salted water       Sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1. Dissolve atole flour in water in a medium-sized saucepan. Add to
   boiling, salted water and cook for 3 minutes at medium heat. Add
   baking soda and stir briskly.
2. Place milk and salt in a small saucepan and scald, but do not
   boil.
3. Serve thickened mixture with hot milk. sugar, or both.

Or chopped chipotles, as Margo suggested!!!  The blue corn is nice.
Don't know where to get blue corn flour outside of Northern NM
though...  Note that atole is considered a beverage...

Or you could try:

Chauquehue (Thick Corn Gruel)
Yield: 6-8 servings                  Cooking Time: ~5 minutes
1 1/2 cups blue corn flour           1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup water                        1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups boiling water                 1 tablespoon lard

1. Dissolve blue corn flour in water in a medium-sized saucepan. Add
boiling, salted water to mixture and cook for 3 minutes at medium
heat, stirring briskly.
2. Add lard and baking soda and cook, while stirring, until thick.

John