Re: [CH] update

assembly1@waitrose.com
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:41:38 +0000

on 4/12/01 1:37 pm, "Emile & Dewi" <e.steenbrink@worldonline.nl> wrote:

> On another note. I found some Harissa paste in a Turkish store. It
> supposedly is a chile paste. Recipes needed.

Hi Dewi (et.al.),

Try looking on the cooking sites for Moroccan recipes.  I serve harissa with
a vegetable stew (made by frying onions and garlic, then adding a can of
tomatoes and vegetables (chick peas, carrots, courgettes and aubergines are
good here), and spices (saffron, cinnamon, allspice, and harissa and more,
but I can't think of it because I'm not cooking it at the moment) and then
cooked for about a half hour - add the veg in order of their cooking
requirements), various grilled meats (lamb chops or kebabs are nice - they
can be marinated in olive oil, garlic and rosemary beforehand) and couscous.
You can also make the stew with meat, but I like the grilled taste.  Pass
the harissa around to add to taste; also sumac for the grilled stuff.

Lest anyone think otherwise, this recipe is not authentic to North Africa or
anywhere else except Virginialand.  Sumac is more Persian/Turkish, but I
like it.  If I were authentic, I'd steam the couscous over the stew in a
coucousiere, but the quick method on the box tastes all right.  But if you
look to Epicurious or Soar you may be able to find something more authentic.

Funny thing is, Dewi, the olive bar at the Melton Mowbray (street) market is
selling harissa in 200g portions for a couple of pounds.  The stuff I get in
bottles is hot enough that a spice-jar sized portion lasts me several
months.  So I was thinking about harissa just as you mentioned it and
thinking that my CH street-cred has gone down yet another notch.

Cheers,

Virginia
--
Virginia Anderson