Re: [CH] Restaurant vet.

VoodooChile (rael64@qwest.net)
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:53:24 -0700

>At 05:28 PM 12/17/01 -0600, tucker wrote:
>>   One of the restaurants I worked at closed, and the employees left with all
>>kinds of lovely "parting gifts".
>>
>>   This message got me to wondering exactly how many of us have done the food
>>service gig at some point in our lives...  And how many of us have vowed to
>>never do it again.  ;-)))
>
>I washed some dishes and bussed tables for just a bit while in college.
>Quickly vowed that from then on when entering a restaurant it would be through
>the front door only!  Lousy, dangerous environment, bad hours and small pay...
>
>=Mark

Long hours, bad pay, no bennies (insurance/etc)...yep, that's the
restaurant life...

i cooked professionally for about 9-10 years...vegetarian, Italian,
"family-style", and classic French cooking along with basic pastry
skills and a decent baking background (one gig was baking 3am - 9am,
cooking 9am - 3 am...was still drinking at that time <g>)...cajun and
Thai being my personal interests...line dog, pot washer, sous chef,
chef, all names i've answered to...revamped a hotel restaurant on my
own and stupidly, turned around and opened a retirement community
foodservice next...last gig was revamping (as sous chef, not the top
dog, thank god) a million dollar-plus 700-ish membered country club
facility: 2 kitchens, service 7 days a week, lunch, dinner, sunday
brunch, frequent banquets/private parties in Jackson TN where you can
golf damn near year round (some members did)...around 70 hours a week
for 9 months is what did me in...

yet i miss it sometimes.  Go figure.

(masochist and addict, that's what)

--