Re: [CH] Intro/new subscriber:

W.A. Sawford (was1000@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:04:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I s'pose my first question would have to be..........errmmmm........how
> darned easy/hard can it be to grow _good_ chillies in a place such as 'UK'?
> Uhuh! Well, whatabout without a hot-house? In numbers?

Hello Shaun,

I've been growing chiles for years in England, in fact it all got totally
out of hand and we ended up with a small business.  Admittedly we do use a
greenhouse, but if you want to grow in the garden simply harden off young
plants during May and plant out at the beginning of June when all danger
of frost is past.  Reccomended varieties for this:  jalapenos, hot banana,
any sort of cayenne.  A sheltered environment is a great help.  If you
re-pot the plants in the autumn you can then overwinter them to have early
fruit the following year.

Hope this helps.  It's a long time since I delurked....hmm, feels good...

Wendy
Easy Gardens