Re: [CH] Intro/new subscriber:

Shaun Rimmer (shaun@newtronic.co.uk)
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:38:13 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: W.A. Sawford <was1000@cus.cam.ac.uk>
To: Shaun Rimmer <shaun@newtronic.co.uk>
Cc: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: 17 January 2002 13:04
Subject: Re: [CH] Intro/new subscriber:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I s'pose my first question would have to be..........errmmmm........how
> > darned easy/hard can it be to grow _good_ chillies in a place such as
'UK'?
> > Uhuh! Well, whatabout without a hot-house? In numbers?
> >

> Hello Shaun,

Hi Wendy, nice to err... 'E-meet' you :-) (knew I'd find a phrase for it
eventually.)

> I've been growing chiles for years in England, in fact it all got totally
> out of hand and we ended up with a small business.

Congratulations! Now, if only things I did for fun could get similarly out
of hand, I would have self funding hobbies, and could quit this job........

 Admittedly we do use a
> greenhouse, but if you want to grow in the garden simply harden off young
> plants during May

By placing outside in pots? Covered? (sorry, not much of an educated
gardner, but I learn fast!)

and plant out at the beginning of June when all danger
> of frost is past.  Reccomended varieties for this:  jalapenos,

Uhuh....

hot banana,

What are these like? (appearance, taste, hotness?) I haven't heard the name,
most of the chile varieties I've tried/have seen have been in large boxes
outside of the many (very!) Asian food shoops local to me, and not even
named in Urdu or Hindi etc.

> any sort of cayenne.  A sheltered environment is a great help.  If you
> re-pot the plants in the autumn you can then overwinter them to have early
> fruit the following year.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks for the tips!

It's a long time since I delurked....hmm, feels good...

And rightly so! Personally, I got out of lurking pretty quickly on the
lists/groups I was visiting, preferring to make a public nuisance of myself
when I had nothing to say.

I figured at least that way, I was giving other people something to
do.......like look upon me in wonder (I wonder what happened to that guys
brain? sorta thing....)

Anyhoo, back on topic, are chile seeds difficult to germinate, from fresh
chillies? Or is it just a case of letting them dry, and damp-germinating in
a warm place?

> Wendy
> Easy Gardens

Thanks again!

Shaun R
--
You don't have to exercise free will -  at the end of the day it's up to
you.