Re: [CH] kim chi

Bill & Linda Moats (moats@valint.net)
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:08:50 -0800

Here's one that I adapted from a Chinese cooking class taught years ago by a
Japanese-American in good old Idaho City, ID (then pop about 180). I make
probably 25-50 lbs/year.

Kim Chee

4 # napa cabbage (won bok)
3/4 C salt dissolved in 8 C water

Cut cabbabe into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Soak in brine for 3-4 hrs. Then drain,
rinse quickly and drain again. This is an important step to get the salt
level to your taste. Mix with seasoning below and cover and leave at room
temperature overnight. Pack tightly into jars. Use liquid to cover and
refrigerate.

Seasoning:

1 T cayenne (If the batch is just for me, the spice level goes up)
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger
1 T paprika
2 T sugar

The seasonings above are all pure personal taste and can be varied all over
the place. The brining step seems to make for a nice texture to the cabbage.

Bill Moats
Milton-Freewater, Oregon