Re: [CH] kim chi

AndyB (quark@erols.com)
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:40:03 -0500

Carpo,

Bill's recipe, below, sounds good - and is about my speed for
preparation.  However, for additional ideas, here is a couple
of links to other kimchi recipes:

How to make Kimchi (more than I care to know):
     http://kimchi.kfri.re.kr/2-1-4.htm

Quick Kimchi:
     http://www.treelight.com/health/QuickKimchi.html

The Ultimate Kimchi Recipe:
     http://www.treelight.com/health/UltimateKimchi.html

"Instant" Kimchi:
     http://www.sogang.ac.kr/~burns/cult96/s950118.html

Kimchi Pancakes:
     http://www.koreanspices.com/recipes/sidedish/kimpan.htm

danceswithcarp wrote:

> Any good recipes on kim chi?  I've got a couple off of the net but i'm
> looking for that personalized burn...
>
> carpo

============================

Here's one that I adapted from a Chinese cooking class taught years ago
by a Japanese-American in good old Idaho City, ID (then pop about 180).
I make probably 25-50 lbs/year.

Kim Chee

4 # napa cabbage (won bok)
3/4 C salt dissolved in 8 C water

Cut cabbage into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Soak in brine for 3-4 hrs. Then
drain,
rinse quickly and drain again. This is an important step to get the salt
level to your taste. Mix with seasoning below and cover and leave at
room
temperature overnight. Pack tightly into jars. Use liquid to cover and
refrigerate.

Seasoning:

1 T cayenne (If the batch is just for me, the spice level goes up)
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger
1 T paprika
2 T sugar

The seasonings above are all pure personal taste and can be varied all
over
the place. The brining step seems to make for a nice texture to the
cabbage.

Bill Moats
Milton-Freewater, Oregon