Re: [CH] Penzey's in Columbus now open

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:27:24 -0600

Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> The layout is pretty open, lots of shelf and not much stock
> compared to most stores, but that's like the store I saw in Brookfield, WI.

  Still that way as of the last time I was there; maybe two months ago.  I think
they are going for the open, clean, uncluttered look; and keep most of the stock
in the back.  There is always an ample supply of each item sitting out though.
I sort of like it that way, I must say.

> Most items are sold in plastic shaker jars and larger glass apothecary jars;
> many have a half-filled jar you can sniff.

  As does ours, which is just a terribly nice feature, I have always thought.

> They had several varieties of dried pepper, plus pepper-based seasonings
> like "chile powder" and seasoning mixes with some pepper in them.  I just
> took a quick look around, but I'll be back to browse more closely.  For now,
> I bought a little jar of Balti seasoning mix.
>
> - A

  Last time I was there I bought some "Very Hot" Cajun Seasoning, which I have
yet to try.  A couple of years ago I picked up their ("Pakistani"???) Crushed
Red Pepper flakes.  They're supposed to be twice the heat of the standard
crushed red, but I'm not convinced.  I used to put it on pizza, before I started
just dumping hot sauce on it instead.  They have a decent (compared to what I
don't know) selection of chile related / derived products in their catalog,
which, if it's like the Brookfield store, you can sign up at the checkout
counter to start receiving .

--
Erich
C-H # 2099