Re: [CH] Penzey's

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:14:35

>From: tucker <tucker@ticon.net>

>I think
>they are going for the open, clean, uncluttered look; and keep most of the
>stock
>in the back.  There is always an ample supply of each item sitting out
>though.
>I sort of like it that way, I must say.

Yes, I do too, after spending time in grocery retail environments where
everything is crammed gimmick to gimmick.

>A couple of years ago I picked up their ("Pakistani"???) Crushed
>Red Pepper flakes.

I want to look more closely at their ground peppers and paprikas - I noted
such a nice, fresh-looking red color just walking by.

It's a bit strange to browse such high-level retail after going to tiny
ethnic groceries that maight have mighty sacks of peppers (and other spices)
at a good price, but certainly not first quality.  Color is one indication,
as is the intactness of whole pods (if applicable).  Then beyond that, there
is the separate issue of discovering bugs in your purchase later...

- A