Re: [CH] Language done be bad

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:22:20 -0800

mstevens@exit109.com wrote:

> At 10:32 AM 2/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi C-H's,
> >horrible I know, but what can one do? The Western English speaking
> >world is fast turning into an intellectual desert and I believe the
> >low standards accepted in advertising, broadcasting, political
> >speaking and email are largely to blame. Sorrry. Now I'm ranting.
> >

> Actually language is a continually growing, living thing.  The changes that are
> accelerating within the English language now are just reflecting the growing
> changes that are shaping the society we live in.  You can make it as
> intellectual as you want, there have been folks complaining about the purity of
> the spoken word as long as there has been a spoken word (My Fair Lady comes to
> mind).  You may not like the result but to try to stop it or hold onto the
> "good old days" means it's just going to blow past you.  Of course we could go
> the French route and set up a government agency to ensure National Purity in
> language.  Set up lists designating what word usage was "proper."   Monitor all
> the media and dictate the percentage of non-approved grammer will be tolerated
> (shut down Fox Network...).  I'm sure if Bush would hold off on that tax cut we
> could fund it...   :-)
>
> =Mark

Yes, Mark...but you must remember, that gentleman is a re-placed Scot,
and he probably just had a HUGE serving of haggis, and he learned English
(with a funny accent)at his Mother's knee, like as in"argh awa wi yee!
as well as "Lang may yer Lum Reek" wich really means....Hope your chimney
stays up, and dry!, or sumpin!! Ah weel, tis all English fer all of that!
Cheers, Doug in BC, not a drop of Scottish blood in me body!